Thursday, October 9, 2008

Driving Adventures

Or should I call it "Poor Timing/Good Timing"?

Poor timing - Delayed leaving the beach as long as possible on Wednesday. So much so that I hit Atlanta as rush hour was starting. Normally would not have been an issue but the first rain storm of the year, it appears, also started. You would have thought people had not seen rain for years -- well it was the biggest rain in 5-6 years based on the radio announcer. Accidents right and left, roads leading to the interstate were shut-down due to flooding, standing water on the road - glad I drove a high standing car, and people just stopping right in the middle of the road! Reminded me a little of a typhoon I was in - but this lasted 20 minutes rather than 8 hours! No big issues just amusement - Atlanta rush hour has nothing on everyday traffic in Taiwan or Japan.

Good timing - Have you ever noticed that some people have no clue what is acceptable behavior for a driver? When I stopped to get a coke in GA, the person in the truck next to me was sitting there downing a Budweiser! Something about him gave me the creeps so I left (driving not walking) and went to the place next door. As the waitress was getting my coke, I warned her and her co-worker about the guy - silver Mitsubishi pickup truck, had opened his second beer in the few seconds between when I pulled in and when I left, and to take care when they left. On my way back to my car, the guy had pulled around and was telling one of the waitresses (who had to take the trash out) how "fine" she was and asking her to get closer so he could talk to her better. She looked at me and said "thanks". When he left, he was headed into town/away from the interstate. I can only hope he did not hurt anyone with his driving.

Otherwise, made it to my destination with no problems and no speeding tickets!!

No comments: