Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grand Canyon of PA


Great day in upstate New York; upper 50's/low 60's and lots of sunshine! The "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" had been recommended as a beautiful place to hike and see. Originally I had planned to visit last weekend (end of peak for the color change) but couldn't.

There are two state parks: Leonard Harrison State Park ("east rim") and Colton Point State Park "west rim") as well as Tioga State Forest (Pine Creek Gorge Natural Area). I ended up at Colton Point today. A local vendor was selling maple goodies. After hiking, a cup of hot cinnamon maple coffee was fantastic. I am still not used to wearing a hat and fleece jacket in October so I was not dressed quite warmly enough for my hike!

The drive to the park was also very nice. The town of Wellsboro is quite wonderful. It is the type town someone could easily live in and everything is within walking distance. I stopped on the way back and walked around a little. On December 6th is "Dickens of a Christmas Celebration" so I will definitely return to see the beginning of Christmas season!

No comments: