Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ninth Graders of Fujian

Foreigners are still a rarity in parts of Fuzhou. As I ordered my lunch, the couple at the table near mine continued to turn around and stare. The three kids pointed and giggled. And the waitresses were skittish to come over. After a few minutes however, the brave kid decided that a single female foreigner must not be too dangerous. She (I cannot read her name in Chinese - will need to get someone to translate it for me later) sat down and talked to me for at least 30 minutes. As I told her, very brave! Here is the photo of her (bluish/greenish shirt) and her two classmates. We have exchanged emails so I hope that one day we will be able to chat again. Although she lives in the countryside, she visits her older sister (who lives in Fuzhou city) occasionally. Very interesting and nice kids.

No comments: