Friday, September 12, 2008

Singing at Simon's

Last weekend tried a Teppenyaki and Tapa's resturant in Horseheads area called Simon's. The Thai rolls with spicy peanut sauce were really good! However, the main reason that I tried the place was to check out the Karaoke which starts at 10 pm on Fridays. Wanted to compare it to those in Japan and the place I went to in Kentucky.

The crowd was about 20 people. I was told it was a much smaller group than normal; the employees thought it was because school had just started. Good setup, casual, and enjoyable. I'm not a singer but it was very relaxing and another woman agreed to sing a duet so I did not have to carry the tune alone!

As I listened to all the song that were sung, it made me start thinking "what causes a person to select a certain song"? Is it because it is the only English song that they know -- yes this was the case many times in Japan! Is it that the song brings back good memories? Or is it because a person has selected one or two songs, practiced so they are good, and those are "their songs"? (And yes, if you wanted to ask .... it is a female trait to analyze everything!)

There were many good singers and some, like me, just sang. In general, the atmosphere was good, the company quite enjoyable, and a place I will go again. But there are also a few others in this area to check out.

No comments: